Pages

Saturday, February 6, 2016

Walking Worthy


Collosians 1:9
“And so, from the day we heard, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding.”

The first thing I noticed in this passage was the heart of Paul. He was a faithful friend and a lover of all people. It didn’t matter who they were or what they had done, he loved them through and through. He loved them so much that he would give them the truth at any opportunity. Jesus flowed through him, because he was a channel of Christ’s love, a willing vessel. Paul had a genuine desire to see sinners turn to Jesus and to see believers pursue Him more passionately. He cared little about himself, and deeply about the salvation of the souls that surrounded him. God had given him so much grace and mercy when he converted to Christianity, and it clearly filled his heart to overflow in grace for others. Do I love the flock this much? Do I love people to the point of falling on my knees? Am I devoted to speaking truth at any cost? Am I devoted in prayer for others? I love his heart. I love the way God shined and continues to shine through Paul to impact the world. His message to the church of Collosia was just as powerful. He tells them, “we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding.” Doing what God asks us to do when we don’t know the why or the how, is terrifying. I am a planner. I like to schedule events and know the tasks I need to accomplish, ahead of time. However, if I knew the fullness of God’s plans for me, I do not believe that I would be willing or obedient to go as he has called. If I would have known a year ago when I was applying to colleges that God wanted me to do IGNITE, I think I would have fought his will. The comfort of college and gaining a degree sounds much more inviting. If I knew where God was going to take me after IGNITE, I probably would have been more hesitant to come here, too. The problem is that humans live life in constant fear. I live my life in constant fear of the future and the endless possibilities and “what if’s”. I submit to doubt because I listen to earthly wisdom instead of God’s voice. The Lord says, “His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises…” (2 Peter 1:3-4a). Godly wisdom and understanding is rooted in hope and faith that God will truly be all that he says he is. It is believing and holding fast to the faithfulness of his character and the precious and very great promises that he has granted to us. He is just, faithful, and good to his children. Are we so in awe of God that we would do anything and give up everything to fall deeper in love with him? When we can get to that point, we will know the fulness of God’s will for us, and his presence will satisfy the deepest parts of our soul. 


Application: I want to be devoted in prayer for others just like Paul. I will pray for two people back home, and two people on our team every night this week. I will pray this blessing over them, that they might be filled with the fulness of God’s will.  

No comments:

Post a Comment