Pages

Saturday, February 13, 2016

Bloom Where You are Planted


1 Timothy 6:6-8
“But godliness with contentment is great gain, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content.”

Godliness has always puzzled my mind. I am only a mere human being. I sin hundreds of times each day, and there are moments that I reject God and choose the world. How can I be godly? How can I be like God? The creator of the universe, the one who spoke the world into motion by his very breath, and loves without an end. I found my answer in 2 Corinthians 3:18. “And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the spirit.” Becoming like God, starts and ends when we look to God, and make every effort to pattern our lives after the perfect life he lived on earth. There is no gain found living in the world, but there is an opportunity for believers to radiate and reflect Christ, and offer great gain to those around them. The problem is our flesh. Everything within us fights against imitating Jesus, and being his hands and feet. Every week we sing, “take me deeper than my feet could ever wander,” but we don’t really mean it. We love our comfortable lives. We love the shallow end and whatever makes us feel safe. We love to go to church on Sunday, and go back to being ourselves on the weekdays. Very few can say that they are genuinely satisfied in the love of God, alone. There are usually other earthly things, such as people, jobs, titles, money, and various possessions, that momentarily fill our lives with bliss. We are content with what makes us happy, but we are not content in Christ as he calls us to be. More often than not, I am not content with Christ because I know that it requires change, the one thing I truly hate. But this year, God is setting me free. Remaining comfortable in my own little bubble, means missing out on the incredible things God has in store for me all the way in the deep end. I can genuinely say that all I desire is to be in the deep end. I do not want to be comfortable anymore. I want to be radical and I want to grow. There is nothing on earth that will cause me, or the world around me, greater gain than becoming like God and radiating his light. My mom is the perfect example of a godly woman. When I was younger, I battled anger and rage, and my mom always received the brunt of my tantrums. I can rarely remember her ever yelling back at me, all I remember is hearing scripture softly spoken in my ears. When I was in my room screaming, she was on her knees praying. It was evident that she had experienced the glory of the Lord, because it was so clearly displayed in her actions and words. She gives light and love more than anyone I have ever met and I am forever grateful to have such an incredible woman in my life. 


Application: Today, I will make a list of godly characteristics that I find in my devotions and I will pray that God will help me to be satisfied in him and him alone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment