Pages

Saturday, February 6, 2016

Let it Shine


Psalm 90:12
“So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom.”

I have often thought about time and the time I have here on Earth. I am so quick to believe that I will live a long, full life and that I have plenty of time to do all of the things that I want to get accomplished in this lifetime. I am ignorant of death and the fact that God says in Isaiah 51:6, “Lift up your eyes to the heavens, and look at the earth beneath; for the heavens vanish like smoke, the earth will wear out like a garment, and they who dwell in it will die in like manner…” Time is fleeting and life is but a vapor, and how am I spending my time? And who am I dedicating my time to? It has taken me quite a long time to realize this simple truth, but maybe my time should be dedicated to the author of my life, the one who numbered my days before I was born, and has directed my feet to stand where I am today. Maybe my life isn’t about me. Maybe it is about sharing the same love and grace Jesus has so freely showered upon me with everyone I meet? I can’t help but be reminded of that old Sunday school song, “This Little Light of Mine.” All the song says is, “this little light of mine, I am going to let it shine.” If only life were that easy. If only the darkness weren’t so engulfing and overwhelming. If only I had more time. But the second part of Isaiah 51:6, gives me hope. It says, “But my salvation will be F O R E V E R and my righteousness will never be dismayed.” That’s it. That is the hope my heart has been longing for. That is the fullness of wisdom. I am redeemed. I have life and life more abundantly. My Abba father, my creator, has taken these bones from the dust and breathed life into my soul. My life is full of purpose and meaning and on this earth I can receive a heart of wisdom, if my gaze is set on my Savior. And when your gaze is fixed on one point, there your feet will follow. So this little light can shine, and this heart will ever beat for the one who graciously offered me life and forever love. I have the opportunity to do something bold and something bright with the grains of sand within my hourglass of time. Jesus, teach me to be okay with not knowing the what, when, where, and how, and focus on pursuing you more passionately than the day before. May we take a hold of that which is truly life: knowing Jesus deeply, loving people freely, living life boldly.


Application: I will write out the song this “little light of mine” and tape it on my bathroom wall, so that I see it everyday and am reminded to live as Jesus would have me.

No comments:

Post a Comment