Pages

Monday, March 14, 2016

Dancing in Harmony


Romans 12:16
“Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight.”

Living in harmony with another person has to be one of the most difficult things in the world. Scratch that. Dancing in harmony with another person is the most difficult thing I have ever done. I danced at the same studio from the time I was six, until I was eighteen. A majority of the girls who began dancing at the same time as me, also stuck it out until the very end. We grew up together, and spent at least four hours a day, four days a week together. During performance season, I would sometimes see those girls for two weeks straight, no lie! But I wasn’t just seeing these girls, or having conversation with them, I was dancing alongside them. We were one team, and with each dance we performed, we had one message and one purpose to offer. Our purpose was to make Christ known, and within making Christ known, we each found Christ ourselves. When that purpose was fulfilled, dancing truly felt like magic. My bones would tingle, my face could not help but smile, and I don’t even remember breathing. I never saw people in the audience, and often times, I would forget that my teammates were even there; it was as if I was being ushered into the presence of the Lord, dancing with him and following his lead. I get the chills when I think about it; it was the most transparent version of me there has ever been. My last recital, was one of absolute harmony. Every dance was breathtaking, and felt absolutely incredible. Though we all dance differently, and have different strengths, it was as if we were dancing as one body. Our purpose was Jesus, and it moved us to tears. But when I lost sight of the purpose, the whole team suffered. I can tell you with certainty, that every single one of my teammates would tell you the same thing. When one person was distracted, when they lost sight of the goal, when they put themselves before God, our dancing was not as powerful, and the message was not as vivid. I remember leaving performances feeling so defeated, because I knew that I was the weak link. But instead of wallowing in self pity, I gained even greater motivation to commune with the Lord and gain the fire I needed to dance with all passion. It is so vital to live in fellowship and friendship with the Lord, because when we don’t, the whole body suffers. Jesus, take away my pride, remove Charis from the equation, and teach me to serve with all humility and grace. Let every word, and every deed be done unto your glory, and for the furtherance of your kingdom.


Application: When I have wifi, I will text my dance family and thank them for the many years of laughter, love, and growing in the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment